Tuesday, May 20, 2014

My TTC Journey : How I Won My Battle With PCOS

JLofied.com is all about celebrating and living life to the fullest, and that is why this blog post on my TTC journey back in 2002 deserves a special page in my new kingdom. If you cannot relate with what this post is all about, let me explain a bit.

TTC means "trying to conceive" and PCOS means "Polycystic Ovary Syndrome". Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a condition characterized by the accumulation of numerous cysts (fluid-filled sacs) on the ovaries associated with high male hormone levels, chronic anovulation (absent ovulation), and other metabolic disturbances.

When I found out that I have  PCOS in 2003, I decided to be pro active and take charge of my health. I started googling and did my own research on what  the syndrome is  all about and how can I have a full control over my body. I also followed some TTC bloggers on their journey which motivated me that I can win in my battle.

As my way of giving back, I am sharing my story on  what I've been through when I was still trying to conceive. 
Photo Credit : www.laparoscopy.blogs.com

Here is   my PCOS Diary.

December 2, 2002 - Its my 1st day of cycle after being delayed for 19 days. Finally! When I visited Dra. Macapagal 2 weeks ago, I told her about the possibility of not ovulating. With no blood work or any tests, she prescribed me Duphaston and Clomid right away and was advised to have TVS on cd12.

December 12, 2002 - I went to Healthway this afternoon just to inquire about the packages for TVS. My cousin Ellen advised me to seek for a second opinion and recommend Dra. Nelinda Pangilinan. She’s also affiliated with St. Lukes and accepts Medicard. So it’s fine with me. During the consultation she asked me the reason why I had my miscarriage last March. I really don’t know, all I know is that my Little MJ has fetal bradycardia. Dra. Pangilinan advised me to have a TVS on cd5, OGTT 75mg, FSH + Estrogen on cd2 to check if I have hormonal inbalance which she suspects right away after telling her I have irregular period. She also asked for my histophatology record and to stop taking Clomid.

January 3, 2003 - Its cd1! My period is not late and I have a 30 day cycle already. Maybe its because of the Dupasthon which I took last December. I did not respond to Clomid.


January 7, 2003 - Its cd5 and I had my TVS with Dra Pangilinan this afternoon. Inside the TVS room, I was praying that no tumor be seen inside my uterus or anywhere. I was in a state of shock when she told me that the reason why I am not ovulating and why I have irregular period  was because of polycysts. From the word cysts, I cant help but asked her how to treat it. Do I need to undergo operation? Confidently she answered me that there are medicines for this syndrome. She prescribed me Duphaston and was asked to have my OGTT test so she can give the right dosage of Metformin.

She’s very accomodating and she explained me well. But that doesn’t stop me with my depression.

January 11, 2003 - Finally I found time to have my OGTT test. No food or water for 12 hours and I was taken blood samples 4 times with 1 hour interval. The test was very stressful.


January 14, 2003 - Dra. Pangilinan saw the result of my OGTT and told me that I am insulin resistant with Hour 1 is above the normal. She advised me to start taking Metformin 500 mg 3x a day for 3 months. She also advised me to return to her on my cd1 to cd3 in March to check if we can stimulate ovulation.


January 18, 2003 -  I vomitted because of Metformin. I also started taking Duphaston for 10 days.

February 3, 2003 - Its cd1. Again it’s a regular period. Maybe I am responding now to Duphaston and Metformin because there were no more sharp pains, no heavy yellow discharge, and no more cramps, and the best of all no more hunger fangs.

February 4, 2003 - Its cd2. I took FSH and Estrogen. Hoping that the results are normal so I can start taking Clomid by March and be able to conceive very soon….


February 10, 2003 - Got the result of my FSH at 8.7 . Based from what I read, I think its normal because the normal value for follicular is 3-12 mlu/mL. No result yet for my estrogen. I was asked to get it tomorrow before my consultation.


February 11, 2003 - My Estradiol is below normal (13.55). That is the reason why the follicles do not reach maturity. I still need to  wait for the 15th day to check if I’m ovulating or not.

February 26, 2003 - I’ve watched Etc on infertility, it focused more on Artificial Insemination and IVF instead of medicines and other PCOS condition. Should I consider that as an option?

April 3, 2003 - It’s the 3rd month of my fertility treatment and I had my first CD. I reported right away to Dra Pangilinan because she advised me to visit her on my first CD. She prescribed me Clomiphene Citrate (Clomid) 100 mg to be taken daily in 5 days starting CD2. She also prescribed me folic acid to be taken daily for 14 days. I was scheduled on the 12th for my TVS to monitor the growth of my follicles. She will give me back-up on the 15th if in case there will be  no big developments.


April 6, 2003 - Its my 4th day of taking Clomid, and I felt a little dizzy and nauseated. I guess this is what Dra. Pangilinan is telling me once I started taking the Clomid / Metformin combination.

April 12, 2003 - Its my 10th cd and its my TVS schedule for follicle monitoring. My polycysts has been transformed into a follicle and I have already 1 dominant follicle which is ready to pop anytime. My uterine lining is so thin at .1 and Dra prescribed me progynova for 3x a day for 3 days. She told me to have my TVS again on April 15.


April 15, 2003 - I had my TVS at Laguna to monitor my follicles, 3 dominant follicles found and will pop anytime. Was advised to have sex of April 16 and 18…Will I have triplets? :-)


May 3, 2003 - My period is late. I have cramps and sharp pains on my breast. I might be pregnant already.


May 5, 2003 - I took the pregnancy test twice and its both POSITIVE. Finally, the long wait is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment